Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy: The Day After

We're very lucky: aside from 3 brief moments where we lost power, we still had it when we woke up this morning, and have had it all day.  Considering there were almost 68,000 customers in our county alone that were without, we knew we were fortunate.  There's no damage to the house, and only 3 trees lost in our immediate neighborhood that I could see.  2 of them were in the overflow lot, and another was beside the small building to the right of us.

I feel horrible and almost sick seeing the devastation that happened along the Jersey shore and in NYC. Areas that were familiar to me from family vacations look completely different due to all of the damage.  And then there were the images of the evacuation from one of the hospitals in NYC, images of the NICU nurses and staff evacuating the preemies in their care, in some cases bagging them, and transporting them to a different hospital that had power.  I know all too well the stress that normally comes with having a baby in the NICU, and I can only imagine what the parents of the precious babies were going through, knowing their baby had to be evacuated in the middle of a hurricane.  The images also showed the love, care, and dedication NICU nurses have for their patients, and they are among the heroes that emerged during this storm.  I really wish I could reach out and hug each and every one of those nurses and the families, let them know that they're in my thoughts and prayers, and that I hope they are all safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment