Wednesday, March 20, 2013

CF Clinic and Illness

First, just a quick update on Judith's quarterly clinic visit.  It'll be short, because she did really well, and things sound good so we don't need to make any major changes right now!  She weighed in at 24 lbs, 10 oz (fully clothed and with a wet diaper, so she was probably closer to 24.5 lbs or a little less), and grew 3/4 of an inch from her nephrology visit, so is now 33.75" long.  We need to increase her miralax dosage because she's still battling some constipation, and we need to keep a close eye on her for the next few days in case she starts showing signs of illness.  Dr. G. didn't want to put her back on antibiotics at this point, despite the morning coughing, out of concern that she might have to stay on them for the rest of the season if we take that approach, and also because we're not sure if the cough is something else or illness-related.  As always, we'll have to wait for her throat culture results, and I'm hoping that the last round of antibiotics knocked the MRSA infection out of her lungs.

Right now I kind of feel like Judith might be a ticking time bomb, waiting for her to show signs of illness.  On Sunday, the Luck of the Irish certainly wasn't with me, because I'm sporting a nasty sore spot on my hand with some bruising and a nasty brush burn on my shin after I tripped over my own pants going up the steps at church (I really hate being so klutzy).  Later that evening, my sinuses started draining, and by Monday morning they were completely stopped up and pounding.  It's been a while since I had a sinus infection, and we were having a pretty good year up until this point.

I've been hand washing and sanitizing like crazy.  So far, so good, because Judith is still healthy (and I hope she stays that way!).  Being a stay at home mom with an active toddler while you're sick is it's own special brand of hell.  I was fortunate, though, that my mom was here to help for a while yesterday, and Judith was pretty good today.  The worst part was seeing her disappointment when I couldn't read to her when she asked (she kept bringing books to me saying, "I read to you!" in her little voice).  I hate losing my voice, but being able to have some vocal rest today has helped a lot, and I hope it, along with the rest of the infection, goes away soon.

So, if you're the praying type, say a little prayer that Judith doesn't catch this, because I'm afraid it might be worse for her than it is for me, and if you're not the praying type, cross your fingers, send good thoughts and vibes, whatever you choose, our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment