Sunday, May 12, 2013

Week Recap

Things have been really, really crazy around here since I last posted, and I'll try to keep this post as brief as possible as I recap everything!

Last Sunday, I had Judith dressed and ready for church, and was doing her vest before we would have to head out the door.  Saturday night was rough because she kept coughing a lot overnight, and Sunday morning she had a really tight, croupy sounding cough.  Her vest treatment and an extra dose of albuterol didn't loosen things up, so we stayed home instead.  I called the after hours line for the clinic and talked to the on call doctor, and for a bit I was very concerned that we would have to take her to the emergency room and possibly end up with a transfer to Hershey Med so the CF team could start more aggressive treatments to help her out.  They changed her antibiotic from augmentin to cipro, and had us giving her albuterol treatments every 4 hours (4 puffs of the inhaler since we don't do the nebulized version with her).  We were thisclose to starting steroids, but the on call doctor decided to hold off a day and see what her regular pulmonologist recommended.  By the time I called Monday morning, she seemed to have more energy, and her cough was starting to sound wetter and looser, so her doctor said that we could wait it out a couple days and see if the cipro kicked in.  That was a good thing, because by Monday I was feeling like crap and didn't really want to go anywhere if I could help it.  Sunday was, by far, the worst day of the ordeal and she's been improving steadily ever since.  Judith was so kind to share her infection with the rest of the family, but at this point everyone seems to be improving and I hope this infection is out of the house very, very soon.

On Wednesday Judith had a follow-up eye appointment with her ophthalmologist.  Everything looks good, so we can space out her appointments!  She'll go back in the fall for her annual exam, and hopefully will only have a couple follow-ups after that.

Yesterday (Saturday) we celebrated my mom's birthday and threw her a surprise party!  I still can't believe we managed to surprise her, because she's really good at figuring things out in advance.  She really enjoyed herself, and I'm glad that she had a good time!  Today we celebrated Mother's Day at my parents' place and watched the Make-A-Wish convoy in the afternoon, followed by a cookout for dinner.  Judith was being especially challenging today, but I think in the end we all had an enjoyable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment