Friday, May 3, 2013

Go Away, Infections!

It hasn't been that long since Judith and I got over that wicked sinus infection, and now she's sick again.  I know a lot of people have been battling colds and horrible allergies this spring (and I'm right there with most on the allergy front), but I still can't help but feel bad that she picked something else up.

Earlier in the week, mainly on Tuesday, Judith seemed a little sluggish but was still relatively chipper.  I noticed she was spending a little more time watching some of her favorite shows instead of pulling out 50,000,000 toys in the living room, but I didn't think too much of it and chalked it up to her teeth bothering her.  Wednesday rolled around, and she just wasn't herself: she spent a lot of time sitting on her chair or sitting with me, occasionally looking at books, but mostly chilling out.  Mid-morning, I went to change her diaper, and put her in her crib temporarily so I could wash my hands and not worry about her trying to go down the stairs on her own since I didn't have a gate out.  I thought she felt warm, and after I washed my hands I went back to her room to get her out of the crib for lunch.  She was already falling asleep a good hour before her normal nap time, and I decided to take her temperature because something felt off.  One swipe of the temporal thermometer said 101.7, another swipe said over 102.

Judith's been coughing a little bit, and I noticed that it was increasing.  She was super fussy when I was putting her glasses on or got too close to her ears.  Because of the fever, I decided to call the pediatrician and see if we could get an appointment.  It's a good thing I did that and took her in, because she has a double ear infection and a respiratory virus, most likely a cold.  So she's on yet another round of antibiotics, and we have an appointment for a follow up visit in a few weeks to make sure her ears are clear.

Wednesday night was getting scary, because her temperature kept climbing.  John stopped at the local CVS on his way home and picked up some ibuprofen, and thankfully that brought her temperature down.  She was hovering in the 100-101 range on Thursday, and today it looks like things are finally breaking, which is good because I was worrying that we'd have to take her in again over the weekend, per her pedi's instructions, if things didn't improve.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she feels better soon, and that things clear up quickly so she can go to the Great Strides walk with us later in the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment