Thursday, June 23, 2011

Massive Relief!

I (finally) got a call from the county public assistance office about Judith's medical assistance.  Long story short, we sent the application back in April after the initial diagnosis, because CF patients will automatically qualify for coverage (the cost of meds, treatments, etc. is astronomical).  When you apply for MA, you get retroactive coverage for up to 3 months prior to the initial application.  That means Judith qualifies as of the beginning of this year.

Know what that means?  MA will be paying for a little more than half of Judith's NICU bills!  What a relief!  We're now trimming almost $5,000 worth of bills significantly.  I don't know how much we'll be responsible for in the end, but thank God it won't be nearly as much as we're looking at right now (and we'll be able to get it paid off sooner).  I'm actually still kicking myself for not applying after she was born - I think I was still in shock, and wasn't thinking realistically about what everything would cost.  But at least we're able to get something.

No comments:

Post a Comment