Monday, September 19, 2011

New Discovery

Judith is not a fan of having chunky things in her purees.  She'll eat puffs, Mum Mums, and arrowroot cookies, but give her something that has real substance, and she flips out.

Case in point: Since she's been showing an interest in what we're eating, and enjoys the above mentioned finger foods, I thought she would like to try some purees with chunks of the real thing in it.  So I got some Gerber 3rd foods (a couple fruits and veggies, and some "complete" dinners like spaghetti in meat sauce and chicken & noodles), and the fruits are a hit - they're thicker, and don't have the chunks in them, so she loves them.  I haven't tried the veggies yet.

Spaghetti and meat sauce was a fail.  I thought it was because of the tomatoes, and stupid me didn't think about the high acid content in tomatoes when I bought it - I probably irritated Judith's poor system with the natural acid, and she was miserable after eating it.  I tried a chicken and noodles dinner, and got the same results as the spaghetti.  Now I think it has to do with the small chunks of food, and she doesn't like the sensation in her mouth.

I feel like I should mention something to her PT/OT, and see what he thinks.  I don't think it's a true oral aversion to foods, because she'll take thick purees and will put dissolvable foods in her mouth.  We can forget about anything else at this point.

::sigh::  This feels like such a slow, tedious process.  Many term babies at this age are eating table foods for most (if not all) of their meals.  At this rate, Judith's going to be eating purees in kindergarten...

No comments:

Post a Comment