Friday, February 10, 2012

Enzymes Are Working!

And what a difference it has made!  She's still going about 2 times a day, but the amount has decreased, the color is more normal, and they don't smell nearly as bad.  TMI, I know, but there's no other way to describe it.  Who would've thought I'd be this excited over poop of all things!

Still no word from the clinic on her lab results, but that's to be expected.  It hasn't even been a week, so I don't really expect to hear anything until closer to the end of the month (like around President's Day).

In the meantime, I'm working on gathering a few things to help organize/make giving the enzymes easier.  One of my mommy friends suggested getting a pill sorter, and measuring out the doses for the day into that.  Right now, it's an easy dose to measure (it's only 1 capsule, after all, but they are kind of a pain to open), but getting into this habit now will help me stay organized if/when we have to increase the dosage - at least before she learns how to swallow pills, which is years away!

I'm considering taking out stock in applesauce, particularly for those resealable squeeze pouches (which Judith loved before this).  We're not using a large amount each day, but the total amount consumed will probably add up quickly when you figure she gets a spoonful 7 times a day to take her enzymes.

This adjustment hasn't been as bad as I thought - knock on wood John & I have been doing well remembering to give her a dose before every meal, but we also haven't been anywhere outside of the house where we've had to give her the enzymes.  My timing of errands this week has allowed for us to be out of the house in between meals, but logistically I know that can't last forever.  I'm sure it won't be as bad as I expect, but for some reason that first time always seems so daunting in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment