Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Getting Closer!

Because of the icy roads, I am unable to get to the hospital today.  Boo!  :-(  At least I was prepared last night, making sure there was enough in the milk stock to last through today and tomorrow, until I can get there again.  There's a thick layer of sleet on the roads, but I think we were a bit lucky because there was some snow mixed in - John said the roads weren't too bad this morning, and the snow gave extra traction.  Tonight's probably going to be another story though.  Ugh.

I am quite excited today despite the weather and not being able to visit my daughter for the first time since she was born: I got my Moby wrap!  I wasn't expecting the FedEx guy quite so early, but when I went to check on the mail there was a little box on the landing.  That thing is awesome!  I took it out and practiced the wrap, and I think I did ok with it for the first time.  It was a little loose in spots, but I'll have to keep practicing to get it right.  Only thing is they don't recommend using it for babies under 8 lbs without a doctor's ok.  Bummer.  But I shouldn't have to wait too long to use it, since Judith is up to 5 lbs 6.8 oz.  I'm sure there are plenty of mothers out there who use them with babies under 8 lbs, but I feel safer following the directions and recommendations.  Preemies are at higher risk of problems to begin with, and carriers can sometimes make those worse.  So I'm going to play the safety card and wait a few weeks before putting Judith in the carrier.

I think tonight is going to be bath night for the pups.  Lady is dirty - she has something crusted on the fur of her neck, and it looks like a combination of food and slobber.  Nice.  Buster just flat out stinks and needs to be cleaned.  Maybe their fur will be white again instead of that weird yellowish-white that it is right now.  I'd rather have them clean for the baby coming home anyway - it'll minimize the fur flying all over the place...at least for a few days.  I need to file their nails too, but I don't know when I'll get around to that.

John & I are trying to formulate a plan of how to introduce the dogs to Judith.  Lady hasn't shown a lot of interest in the baby clothes we bring back from the hospital - she'll sniff them briefly, but is more interested in pesting us to play (which doesn't happen at 11:00 at night, despite what she thinks should happen!).  Buster gives them a thorough inspection, complete with sticking his nose into the sleeves for a better snoof.  It's really funny, because he makes those snorty noises while doing it!  I'm hoping they don't jump all over Judith, and we'll have to watch how much they want to lick her, but overall I'm sure they'll be fine.  The real interesting time is going to be when Judith starts playing with baby toys (especially round ones) and learns that if you throw them Lady will fetch it.  At least we don't have to worry about that for a while!

1 comment:

  1. my niece has something like the moby wrap and she loves it. Easy on and easy off your hands are free to do other things and the baby is well protected.

    ReplyDelete