Monday, January 31, 2011

Good Weekend

I feel like a broken record since Judith went on the antibiotics and was moved back to an open crib: she continues to do well, and is doing everything she should be doing.  She got both shots that she needed to get before discharge (Synagis and Hepatitis B), more than passed her car seat test Saturday, is gaining weight, maintaining her body temp, and taking all her feeds by bottle.  She's up to 5 lbs 5 oz, and is eating anywhere from 50-60mL each feed with one or 2 feeds at a lower amount.  The only thing left to do is her hearing test and finish the antibiotic treatment.

Now we're being told that she will be able to come home Thursday instead of Friday, mostly because we've completed almost everything that needs to be done.  We were a bit shocked when they were bombarding us with that last night (and personally I think the nurse practitioner and the nurse telling us this were a little forceful about the whole thing, and I almost felt like they were treating us like we are dumb/not good parents because everyone kept saying "Friday for discharge" and now all of a sudden the nurse practitioner decides to reschedule night watch on us and declare that we "will be doing it on Wednesday" without clearing it with our schedule first).  I get it that things can change, but good grief don't just start demanding that we're doing night watch on Wednesday and bringing her home on Thursday when we're walking in the freaking door and haven't even had a chance to put our coats down.  The nurse practitioner could've been a little nicer about the whole thing, especially since John busted his butt Saturday morning to make cookies for all of the NICU staff.  And the other thing that just royally pissed me off to no end was the nurse practitioner "joking" that she would take our baby out of the hospital Thursday and give her back "when we're ready to take her home."  Yeah honey, not really something you should be joking about.  I'm sure if I really wanted to, I could get her into a pile of trouble for even mock threatening to remove my baby from the NICU and take Judith to her home.  However, I'm willing to let her comment slide since we won't have to deal with her much longer (and I don't really know this nurse practitioner well, because I haven't interacted with her much over the last 2 months).  Vent over.

We have so much to do to get the house ready for Judith's homecoming, and I'm hoping to check a couple things off of that list today.  I have laundry going again, the bottle storage/drying rack is assembled and waiting for stuff to be put on it, and the bottles and all associated parts are waiting to go in the dishwasher for a good cleaning.  The dogs could use a good bath, but it's been so cold lately that I hesitate to do it.  But I might cave on that one and do it tomorrow night - they stink.

I feel like I'm spending another day frantically running around the house trying to get things done.  I guess it's good preparation for what it's going to be like once Judith's actually home though.  Everyone's going to have to adjust to a new routine and a change in environment.  I don't know what it's going to be like, and honestly I know we won't know until she's home, but I really hope we have a smooth transition from NICU to home and everyone can adjust quickly.  I'm sure being essentially shut in for the next 2-2.5 months (or when the pediatrician says RSV season's over, whichever comes first) will help us adapt to a new routine quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment