Tuesday, April 26, 2011

EI, PT, and 2 BTs

Hah - a title full of acronyms.  Pretty clever for my brain not functioning well from lack of sleep in the heat last night.  I finally caved around 2 am and got up for an hour.  Judith was up for a feed anyway, then decided it would be appropriate to stay awake for an extra 45 minutes.  She went back to sleep, but was up at the butt crack of dawn.  Lovely.

She was actually fairly pleasant today, and that's a good thing because we had our first physical therapy session through early intervention this afternoon.  Her therapist is great - he explained how to do some easy stretches to help her torticollis (which is very mild, and should clear up in a couple weeks - yay!).  We'll get our full goal plan next week, and I already told John we're sticking with the program for the full course.  Some parents choose to end services early, but I think that's a little silly.  If she was getting therapy as a full term baby with torticollis, I would stop once it's cleared up.  But since we know she's already delayed, and could end up even more delayed in time, I say it can't hurt one bit to give her the services for as long as possible.

The dogs were awesome the entire time today!  I'm so proud of them!  I don't really like to gate them in a room when people are here, but right now it's the only way to keep the chaos to a minimum.  They stayed in our bedroom, where their blankets and collection of assorted rawhide bones are.  Neither one made a peep, and the most noise I heard was Buster jumping off the bed (he makes a nice, meaty thud on the floor whenever he does this).  Now the guilty part: we had some leftover hot dogs from dinner last night, and I actually bribed them to be good - I told them that, if they were good this afternoon and didn't bark like a bunch of crazed maniacs, I would cut up a hot dog in each of their food bowls for dinner.  So guess who got hot dogs in their dinner tonight?  :-)

It's probably a good thing that Lady remained upstairs.  The therapist brought his therapy ball in the house, and I could just picture Lady pushing the giant ball around, playing with it and trying to figure out how to get it in her mouth.  And don't think she wouldn't try either - John had a plastic pumpkin decoration out this past year, and Lady annihilated the thing in about 10 minutes.  All it took was my dad saying, "Oh look.  A pumpkin!" and that was it.

But I'm off track.  We're going to look at therapy balls so we have one here at the house to help Judith.  The therapist recommended getting a real one instead of using a beach ball because if a therapy ball is punctured, it'll merely deflate rather than bursting.  It shouldn't come to that point, but I'd rather be prepared!

We've been winding down from the craziness of the weekend.  Easter services went well, and Judith was good the entire time!  Next on the agenda: preparing for her baptism!

I'd also like to take a moment to mention that we watched the movie "Unstoppable" tonight.  Great movie - I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it already.  Awesome part?  John's best friend was one of the rail consultants/experts that helped keep the big Hollywood folks on track.  Neat, huh?  :-D


  1. I have to admit that I was wary of Unstoppable because it seemed sort of cheesy, but I keep hearing good things about it. Guess I'll have to give in.

    Looking forward to hearing about Judith's baptism!

  2. I can just picture Lady running around with a therapy ball in her mouth. Bob has already annihilated the ball that Alexandra got Andrew for Easter. Took him about 19 minutes! It's good that they are 99 cents at the dollar store.