Monday, March 14, 2011

Weekend

Judith had lots of visitors this past weekend!  My parents came like normal, but Judith also got to spend time with all 3 of her great-grandparents: Saturday with Great-Grandma & Great-Grandpa M., Sunday with Great Nana.  They love getting to see her, and I can't wait for RSV season to be over, because I can then take day trips (with doggies in tow, of course!) to visit everyone.  It'll give me something different to do as well.

I went to Babies R Us on Saturday to pick up a few things that we needed (and some that we didn't), and came home with 6 infant gowns for Judith to wear at night, a huge box of size 1 diapers (hooray coupons!), and 3 new spring/summer outfits.  What can I say - I'm a sucker for all that cute clothing!  I know we're going to have to do some re-stocking of her clothes though.  Originally I was figuring that she might be in newborn sizes for a week or 2, then move into 0-3 for a bit.  Wrong!  We've been in newborn sizes now for about 2 months, and Judith isn't showing signs of outgrowing a lot of things anytime soon.  So it's looking more and more likely that she'll be in 0-3's for the spring and at least part of the summer.  Problem is, about half of what I have for her in 0-3's is geared towards fall and winter.  Moral of the story: it goes to show that no one really expects and plans to have a preemie, particularly one as small as Judith (or smaller for some people), and stocking up too much on clothing before birth may not be the wisest maneuver.  I have so many cute outfits that Judith might be able to wear once, and that makes me very sad for some strange reason.  I like to get a lot of mileage out of her clothing, since I know she'll grow out of it soon, and we may not have another baby.  And the fact is looming that all of those cute outfits I bought in advance will have to be put in storage.  Boo!  :-(

Now that I have you feeling all sad and stuff, let's talk about groceries.  Oh.my.goodness.  The prices are RIDICULOUS.  Mom & I went to the store briefly Sunday afternoon to get milk and cereal.  I did pretty good on impulse purchases, and only added a pack of white American cheese to the list (yum yum!).  1 gallon of milk, 1 block of cheese, and 7 boxes of cereal later, we spent over $30.  The gallon of milk alone was almost $4!  Now I'm all for dairy farmers getting a fair cut of the profit, but the fact that we had to pay that much money for so few items is certifiably insane.  And I would say at least half of the boxes of cereal were pathetically small and seriously overpriced for what you get.  They were on special too!  Ugh!  Oh, and the kicker: that will last us *maybe* 2 weeks.  John has a serious addiction to cereal and eats it constantly.  We should buy stock in Kellogs and General Mills, because I swear what we spend on cereal alone in a year sends the cost of said stocks soaring.

I don't think I mentioned this before: we had our meeting with Early Intervention (EI) on Friday.  We have the information on EI itself, but basically at this point, Judith is a little too young to test accurately, so we're doing a program that's a step before EI services.  They're going to monitor Judith for developmental delays through a series of questionnaires that we fill out bi-monthly.  If there is something that turns up as a concern, then we move into EI services.  This will go on for the next 3 years - after that, if she needs further intervention (which I'm hoping is not the case), we go through the IU until services are no longer needed.  One thing they will do, however, is test her in a couple of months to see where we're at.  So we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment