Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Synagis, Round 3!

We had yet another nurse visit for Judith's monthly Synagis injections, and it was an interesting visit (humorous for me, actually).  Since I didn't want her to be stuck too many times at her 1 year well baby, we delayed giving her the Hepatitis A vaccine until this visit.  So instead of 2 injections, Judith had to get 3, and now we're caught up again with her vaccines!

Judith started off the morning by throwing a fit in the car because she didn't want her hands covered.  Screaming like a banshee is apparently the new way to express this desire.  It was about 15 degrees out, so there was no way I was uncovering them for the car ride (that, and because my car's old it can take a while for the heat to really get going, even after allowing it ample time to warm up).  I tried reasoning with her, but the only thing that worked was driving, and a little more than halfway there she gave up and relaxed.

We entered the pediatrician's office, and I took off her cold weather gear, and she was relatively happy, yet very serious-looking - this is her new thing to do, looking serious whenever she's in a doctor's office, church, etc.  The nurse called us back, took us to the exam room, and asked me to strip her down to her diaper so we could get as accurate a weight as possible (as I believe I've mentioned before, they base the total dosage for Synagis off of her weight, so a naked weight is necessary).  Judith decided to try something new this visit: screaming her head off like Voldemort was lurking at the scale, waiting to hit her with a cruciatus curse.  Normally, the kiddo will roll over and try to crawl all over the scale, so I'm used to her giving the nurses a hard time at weighings, but this was hilariously ridiculous.  I'm laughing at her, and was baffled at the same time - I'm hoping this isn't going to be the new normal every time we go in there for something.  The good news is she now weighs about 18 lbs, so she's still gaining (yay!).

Naturally she screamed when she got the shots, but what kid wouldn't?  The synagis is definitely the more prolonged torture of all of the shots, and I feel bad for her, but hey - you do what you gotta do.  I'm starting to wonder if she's at the very early stages of association with things - she did hear me mention "shots" and "synagis" a few times this morning, and once she saw the nurse that usually gives her the vaccines, she tensed up.  It's going to be interesting to see how she reacts when we go back next month for round 4.  Her reactions today could very well have been a fluke, so we'll wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment